F The Congress At Cannes | Galactic News One

The Congress At Cannes




Ari Folman’s adaptation of Stanislaw Lem’s The Futurological Congress is one of the most talked about films at Cannes this year.

The Congress was showed at the Director’s Fortnight event and was described by some has being an original and provocative hybrid that somewhere between animation and live action, and between dream and reality.

In an interview with total film, Folman said that:


“I first read the book when I was a teenager – I was a real sci-fi buff,” 
And when comparing this film with his previous one (Waltz With Bashir) he said that, Waltz With Bashir was too much of a personal experience for me, especially travelling with the film and talking it about it so much, and I asked myself what do I want to do to get as far away as I can from that. Sci-fi is the best escapism and it’s my favourite genre in film, so I came back to this book. ” and that “The animation is really inspired by the novel,”. “With Bashir, my obsession was that it would be realistic, but here you didn’t need realism. I wanted something very rough, very vivid, not like perfect Disney style. I was looking for something fresh.”

Robin Wright plays herself as the main role, co-starring is is Kodi Smit-McPhee, Danny Huston, Harvey Keitel, Paul Giamatti and Jon Hamm.

Synopsis:
“A loose adaptation of Stanislaw Lem’s “The Futurological Congress,” a 1971 black humour science fiction detailing the exploits of the hero of a number of his books, Ijon Tichy, as he visits the Eighth World Futurological Congress at the Costa Rica Hilton. The book is Lem’s take on the common sci-fi trope of an apparently Utopian future that turns out to be an illusion.”

The Congress is schedule to be released later on this year.
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment