F Greg Grunberg Talks Star Wars: The Force Awakens & J.J. Abrams Mystery Box | Galactic News One

Greg Grunberg Talks Star Wars: The Force Awakens & J.J. Abrams Mystery Box


From Felicity to Super 8, Greg Grunberg has appeared in many of his childhood friend and director J.J. Abrams' projects, so it didn't come has a surprise to hear that Abrams had asked him to join the upcoming Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Entertainment Weekly recently caught with the actor to talk about the film, and though he played coy regarding his role, he did reveal that he had some scenes with C-3PO, R2-D2, and Han Solo.

I can’t talk about who I play or what I did. But just imagine that you get a call from your best friend saying, “It’s true, I’m doing Star Wars and you can stop begging me, yes, I want you to be in this movie.” It was an absolute dream come true. I have been such a fan of all the actors and everything about Star Wars. … Some people may not have loved some of the movies, but it’s a whole world you can’t deny how super compelling and awesome it is, and I can’t believe I’m part of it. Like there were moments when J.J. would yell, ‘Cut’,’ and then come over to me and go, ‘Are you f–king kidding me? Did that just happen? Did I just pan from C-3PO to R2-D2 to Han Solo and then to you?’ I spent seven weeks in London and it was heaven. And it’s crazy cause usually I’m the first person that J.J. calls to bounce ideas off. This one is so top secret, and so on lockdown, that all I can do is ask him, ‘How’s it going?’ and he’s like, ‘Oh, I’m really happy.’ So I know if he’s happy it’s just gonna be incredible.

However, it seems that being close to Abrams is not enough to have the secretive director open up his renowned mystery box.

I can only say that practical effects are as important—if not more important—than the special effects. And it’s all about the story and family. I mean that’s what J.J. is all about. He did it with Star Trek and I’m sure that played into keeping that the franchise alive. And these new characters, these actors are unbelievable. They’re so well cast. What I’m gathering from all of the pieces I’ve seen is it’s everything that a Star Wars junkie like me wants out of the movie. We got our script pages, only the scenes that we were in. Not even what was being shot that day! It was all on red paper so we couldn’t copy it or take a picture of it. And then we had to give the script pages back at the end of the day. And we didn’t get them the day before to take them home and learn them—Carrie Fisher and I were talking about it several times, like, “This is crazy! An actor does not get to prepare on this movie.” But I think at the end of the day it plays into what J.J. has always talked about which is that the theater is a mystery box. I know my scenes. I’m very excited about my scenes. I was really happy with the stuff that I got to do. But I’m sprinkled throughout the whole movie, in a very small way. I can’t wait to see the rest of this stuff. I watched the trailer 20 times after it came out.

Grunberg is set to reprise his Matt Parkman role from Heroes in NBC's upcoming event series, Heroes Reborn.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens opens on December 2015.

Source - EW
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment