F Rian Johnson Talks Practical Effects On Star Wars: Episode VII; Pressure With Episodes VIII And IX. | Galactic News One

Rian Johnson Talks Practical Effects On Star Wars: Episode VII; Pressure With Episodes VIII And IX.


Despite J.J. Abrams remarks on leaving his family in the U.S. to go shoot the new entry in the Star Wars franchise in the U.K. (and all over the world), most fans were confused when Lucasfilm announced Breaking Bad, and Looper director Rian Johnson to be the one to write and direct Episode VIII, and write (with an eye to direct) Episode IX.

In a recent interview with Girls in Hoodies podcast, Johnson revealed how it feels to take on a franchise like Star Wars.

"It’s boring to talk about because the only thing I can really say is I’m just happy. But I don’t have the terror that I kind of expected I would, at least not yet. I’m sure I will at some point."

One of the hosts then alluded to the fact that he doesn't have to answer to the "old powers" (George Lucas), and that will give him more creative freedom. 

"Yeah, I think that’s true. And coming at the time it does where we’ve – like if there’d been no Star Wars movies since Return of the Jedi, there’d be a lot more pressure, but the fact we’ve had them, we’ve had the prequels, we’ve had the TV shows, we’ve had Angry Birds Star Wars … I play it all the time!"

Johnson, who recently visited the set of Episode VII in London, revealed that Abrams is using a lot of props and practical effects, and judging by the rest of the conversation, Johnson will also be using lots of on-camera effects.

"They’re doing so much practical building for this one. It’s awesome. They’re doing it all right, yeah … I think people are coming back around to [practical effects], yeah, it feels like there is sort of that gravity pulling us back towards it … I think that more and more people are hitting kind of a critical mass in terms of the CG-driven action scene lending itself to a very specific type of action scene, where physics go out the window and it becomes so big so quick. I probably sound like a grumpy old man talking about it, but the thing is, I do wonder because I think kids are growing up watching those and that’s the thing that they love now so I don’t know whether it is a generational thing, and it could be." 

What do you think?

Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment