F James Gunn Talks Guardians of the Galaxy; TV Show; Future Projects | Galactic News One

James Gunn Talks Guardians of the Galaxy; TV Show; Future Projects


While at the recent Saturn Awards, Collider met up with director James Gunn to talk about the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy. In the interview, Gunn, talked about making the movie he wanted to create, being able to go as dark as he wanted to go, what was/is the editing process like, a possible tv show, and other future projects.

Collider:  For the rest of the summer, and for pretty much the last year, I have been more interested in what Guardians of the Galaxy is going to look, sound and feel like than almost anything else.
JAMES GUNN:  Almost anything else?  What’s the exception?  Don’t tell me Transformers 4?

No.
GUNN:  Don’t tell me Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? 

No.  Jodorowsky’s The Dance of Reality.
GUNN:  Okay, there you go. 

Which is probably weirder than even you could manage with the hotdog in the brain.  When you were working on this, how dark were you able to go?
GUNN:  I went as dark as I wanted to go.  I’m creating exactly the movie I wanted to create.  When I got hired to do Guardians, it was the dream of a lifetime for me.  This is what I’ve been working towards.  I’ve always wanted to create a space adventure, and especially a space adventure with a racoon.  Now that I’m finally able to do it, I created exactly the movie I wanted to make.  There’s violence in it and there’s dark humor, but it isn’t like I’m trying to make Super 2, which is a very dark movie.  But, that’s not what this is.  Everything I’ve done is very different form each other.  So, I made it as dark as I wanted to make it, and they were okay with that.


What is the editing process like, on this big-budget film?
GUNN:  It’s lengthy, man.  I am used to doing movies which are very, very difficult.  This movie is actually easier than a movie like Super.  With that movie, I was shooting for 24 days, and it’s extremely harrowing for that 24 days.  This movie, I shot for over five months.  So, it’s actually easier, but it’s a marathon because I’ve doing nothing else for two years, really, truly.  I’ve had very little life.  I’ve lost two girlfriends during the two years.  I’ve had all sorts of nothing besides this movie, and that’s really what this movie is to me.  And it’s worth it.  I love it.  I really do love it.  But, I’m ready for it to go away now. 


Do you see yourself moving into more low-budget films after this, as a palette cleanser?
GUNN:  You know, I’ve had so little time.  I mean, I’ve gotten offered a shit load of stuff since the first trailer came out, but I’ve just given so little time [into thinking about it].  I’m not there yet.  I’m still in Guardians.  Right now, in this moment, there’s still a part of me that’s thinking about things I’m going to do tomorrow with the movie.  So, I’m definitely not present with thinking about what my next film is going to be.  All I know is I’m excited about doing nothing for a month or so.  And then, maybe I’ll start to think about what my next movie is going to be.

Do you have any personal projects that you’ve already written ready to go?
GUNN:  I have personal projects that I’ve written that I’m not certain about.  I had a TV show I was working on that I was going to do before right before I got offered this gig.

What was the genre of the TV show?
GUNN:  It was science fiction.

What’s it like being offered the Marvel movie that’s the weirdest, farthest out there Marvel movie thus far?
GUNN:  Have you ever seen one of those American Idol contestants start crying when they win American Idol? That’s what it felt like.  It did.  For real.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy stars Chris Pratt, Dave Bautista, Zoe Saldana, Bradley Cooper, Michael Rooker, Ophelia Lovibond, Benicio Del Toro, Lee Pace, Djimon Honsou, Gregg Henry, Glenn Close, John C. Reilly, Peter Serafinowicz, Laura Haddock, and Sean Gunn.

Guardians of the Galaxy opens on July 31st in the UK, and on August 1st in the US.

Source - Collider

Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment