F Evangeline Lilly Talks The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug or Sma-oog | Galactic News One

Evangeline Lilly Talks The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug or Sma-oog

During a break from shooting the second installment in The Hobbit trilogy, actress Evangeline Lilly, gave a group interview, where she talked about being new to the family, her character, if there’s any singing in the film and more.

“…
You’re playing a character that’s not in the book, so I’m curious– If you could just talk a bit about your perception of her and her character.
LILLY: It would be my pleasure. Because of course, that is the greatest source of my anxiety on this film, is that I’m going to be lynched. I was a die-hard fan of these books before the films ever came out. And when I say die-hard, I wasn’t the person who could speak Elvish, but I really loved them. And I wasn’t actually going to see the original films, because I didn’t think it was possible that a film could represent the books appropriately. So I was protesting, and I wasn’t going to see them. And then my family all took a jaunt together, the entire family, to see the movies, and were like, “What, you’re just going to stay home?” So I saw the movies and was thoroughly impressed that Peter Jackson managed to make my vision of the book come to life, as well as my sister’s and my father’s, and my aunt’s and my uncle’s, everyone’s. It seemed to somehow pan across everyone’s vision, even though we all knew we had to have had different visions of the books.
So when I got called and was told, “We’d like you to do The Hobbit”, which was my favorite of all of them when I was a kid– “And we want you to play a character that’s not in the books”, I gulped and hesitated, but then I went, “These guys know this world, and they represent this world so well, that I actually think they’ve earned the right to have a little play.” And I think that for this character in particular, she becomes sort of the embodiment and representation of the Wood Elves, which Tolkien talks about at length in all of his books. And in this book in particular, he just doesn’t introduce you to any of them. Well, you can’t have a movie with a group of people that are significant players in the story, that push forward the plot, without introducing at least one or two of them. You have to meet them. So I think that they just recognized that. And they could have made it a male Elf, but we have Legolas, and nobody needs to have to compete with that.
So I think doing a female Elf in the Woodland realm was a bit safer, because we haven’t met one of those yet. And also, I think this book is really, really alpha, it’s very male-driven. It’s all male characters, and they ended up– In the book, there’s not one female character. And if you watch a film from beginning to end, with no women in it, it’s really difficult. I don’t know if any of you feel this way, but it’s like eventually, you see a woman come on screen and you go, “Oh, thank God!” You just sort of need a break from all this testosterone, which happened, I think, in one of my films, The Hurt Locker. I was in it for like five minutes, and people were like, “You were in that movie!” And I was like, “Well, kind of.” And they were like, “No, you were!” ‘Cause they needed a woman!

Is your character much different from the other Elves in the story?
LILLY: My character is different from all of the Elves you’ve met before, in that she’s really young. And I keep telling journalists this because I’ve really focused on that in my performance. I’m trying to distinguish her from all of these incredibly sage and wise Elves that have lived for thousands of years. She’s only six hundred years old, she’s just a baby. So she’s a bit more impulsive, and she’s a bit more immature. I think she’s more easily romanticized by a lot of things.

Can you tell us a little bit about your character’s look, and sort of the costumes and stuff?
LILLY: Yeah, I love my character’s look. One of the great pleasures of working in Middle Earth is you get to be another being. Most of us are not playing human beings. So I have these– I got sat down when I first arrived, to try on my ears, to decide what my years would be. And I was presented with three beautiful sets of ears, and they said, “Well, we’ve got the small, the medium, and the large. Which one would you like to wear?” And right away, they went, “Probably not the large.” And they sort of shuffled them aside, and went, “But we think the small and the medium would look great on you.” So we tried them on, and I was like, “Yeah, they’re kind of okay. Can I just try the large?” So we tried the large, and I was like, “That’s it!” I love them, they’re huge! I have these huge, pointed ears. They’re like three times the size of Orlando Bloom’s ears. And I think he has ear envy, I love my ears. And how I can get away with that is I have this wig that’s down to my knees. It’s a massive head of hair, and it’s almost shocking red. It’s sort of auburn red, but it’s a red wig.
And so, my hair is kind of big and it’s very noticeable. And I have what we joke around with on set, we call it my ‘IHS’, which is my Iconic Hair Shape, and it’s this big, beautiful, lustrous curl that runs down my back. So I could get away with having really big ears, because there was nothing that was going to distract you from the hair. And then otherwise, because I’m a warrior, because I’m not a princess, as with most– Well, both of the female Elves we’ve met in Middle Earth up to now, I don’t wear all of the glorious gowns that they wear. I don’t have all the layers and the chiffon and the silks– I’m in very practical, military clothing. I’m the head of the Elven Guard, so I spend most of my time in the movie slaughtering Orcs and Goblins, which is great fun. Although, hair down to your knees can get a bit troublesome when you’re flying around killing Orcs and Goblins. So yeah, I wear the military garb of the Woodland Elves.
So is your character mostly swordplay, or is it archery, too?
LILLY: I do archery, but for the most part, I have two daggers, and I wield my daggers, and they’re effective.

How much training did you have to do for that?
LILLY: I had to do quite a bit of training, and generally, I find stunts a lot of fun, and I don’t struggle too much with them, ’cause I’m a really physical person. But once you put an actual skill into it– Like now I have to be able to spin knives and shit, while I’m in the middle of a fight, and I find that incredibly difficult. Because it is not instinctive, and I always have just led by instinct in anything physical, and sort of just got by on the skill. Like when I was a soccer player, I was really gritty, and I could take girls twice my size down, and that was great, but dribble the ball? Eh. So it’s a struggle being an Elf who has really got all this flourish and is extremely elegant.

So you had to learn Elvish for this role?
LILLY: Yes.

So is there an Elvish equivalent to, “The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plains”?
LILLY: No, there’s no– There is for me, because anything that I’ve said so far becomes that for me. ‘Cause I’ve just memorized my lines. I haven’t sat down and memorized the language of Elvish, and anyone who does that is crazy!
Do you have any scenes with Hugo Weaving’s Elrond?
LILLY: No, none actually. Nor do I have scenes with Cate Blanchett’s Galadriel. They are in a completely different storyline than me. And you’ll find that a lot in the film, as with Rings, there’s a lot of compartmentalization. Like I work primarily with a group of four Dwarves and three humans. And for the most part– I have never, and never will do a scene with Bilbo. I’ve not worked with Martin Freeman. I’ve hung out with him, but I’ve not worked with him. And the movie is about him.
So no scenes with Gandalf at all?
LILLY: None. Again, I’ve had him over for dinner, but I’ve never done a scene with him!
There’s a lot of singing in the book. Does that carry on to the movie, and do you get to partake?
LILLY: No, I don’t get to partake. (whispering) Thank God! (normal) You don’t want to hear me sing. But I do know that the Dwarves have done some singing. And they actually all did their own singing, and it’s amazing. So when you see– There’s a scene in Bag End where the Dwarves sing this haunting song, it’s all the actors. Nobody’s been dubbed over, and it’s beautiful. It gives you shivers.

So many of these people worked with Peter, much of the crew and some of the actors. Did it take you long to feel part of the family, being one of the new cast members coming in?
LILLY: No, definitely not. The Kiwi crew are really, really easy, and there’s just an immediate rapport. As a Canadian, I felt like that was something that carried over for me, and I thought was really nice. One of the things that I miss about Canada is that even the strangers, you have an immediate rapport, there’s just an understanding that we’re all good people, let’s be nice to each other. And Kiwis have that. I find the Kiwis have that. And then Peter is so easy and relaxed, and really funny. He’s surprisingly funny. He has a really good vibe on set. There’s no sense at all, at least I don’t get the sense at all, that he has an ego about what he’s doing, or an arrogance about that being his film set. I think he gets really excited about the characters, and because he’s so excited about the characters, it means he’s excited about you, which is a really nice thing to walk into. And then I arrived a year after the dwarves had been busy at work. And the Dwarves are all new to the set.
So I think because they all came into the Rings world brand new there’s sort of like, new kids stick together, new kids take care of each other. And I think they all took me under their wing very easily and quickly, and I think they maybe know what it feels like to be the new kid on the block. I actually have a really strong rapport with most of the dwarves. We’re all really good friends, and I think they were incredibly friendly and welcoming, and it was all very easy. Even Orlando, he’s the veteran, and he’s this huge movie star who made his mark in these movies, who people will remember forever from Lord of The Rings. You never felt like he was like, “Well, you’re on my set. You’re in my world now.” He’s really welcoming and sweet, and open and warm. In the most amazing role reversal, he almost came in and you could tell that because he was coming into this new group– He used to have his old group with Rings. Maybe he was a bit nervous, like, “Is it going to work, and are we all going to be friends like we had on Rings?” And you could see that he really wanted to connect to people. Out of anybody, maybe you’d expect that he might have been a snob about it all, and he’s the opposite. So it has just been great.

So it’s [pronounced] “Smoog”?
LILLY: So, in Elvish, you pronounce every letter. You never draw letters together, you pronounce every letter. So if there was two ‘N’s, you would have to pronounce both of the ‘N’s, even if they’re right together. So that’s why it’s not ‘Smaug’, because that would be English. It’s “Sma-oog”. All right, that’s my Elvish lesson for the day, thank you! Thanks, guys.”
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment