F Sam Worthington Talks Drift | Galactic News One

Sam Worthington Talks Drift


In a recent interview to Collider, Sam Worthington talked about the upcoming Drift, a surfing drama set in the 1970’s. Drift is directed by Ben Nott and Morgan O’Neill and stars besides Worthington, Xavier Samuel, Myles Pollard, Robyn Malcolm, Lesley-Ann Brandt, Aaron Glenane, Steve Bastoni and Maurie Ogden.
Drift opens on August 2.  

“Collider:  When this role came up, was it a total no-brainer?
SAM WORTHINGTON:  I got to work with my friends, surf where I grew up and make a movie.  But when you’re working with friends, unless the material is right, our friendship could end.  So, the boys had to get to a certain point where I asked them if I was allowed to join.
...
Did you do any research into what it takes to do surf photography?
WORTHINGTON:  I went out with the boys.  When you surf, you’re going away from the break, and surf photographers have to get right in there.  It’s a different way of thinking.  So, I went out with some of the guys who filmed the actual surf footage, and they just showed me where they normally sit and how not to get pushed over the falls and how deep we could get, and things like that, just to test it out.  It’s a different set of skills.
...
Was this character completely on the page, or did you collaborate on it and help develop his look?
WORTHINGTON:  I wanted him to look like my uncle.  My uncle is called Rainbow, which says it all, really.  So, I wanted him to have rainbow colored hair.  I didn’t want to go in and be all Hollywood and chiseled.  I wanted to just have a beard and be a bit fatter and squeeze into a wet suit that was too small, like a big, fat seal.  I wanted to be really unappealing.  And the way of thinking is a lot like my uncle.  My uncle does think about peace and love, and he is a drifter.  He thinks Avatar is for real and Pandora is a real place, he’s that high on mushies, all the time.  But, that was cool.  It was more fun for me to do that.  I liked the cheekiness of having a gun, but flashing a peace sign.  That was a bit more fun to play.  The pressure was on the other boys, and not on me. 
...
How different is it to surf for a movie than it is just to be out there, on your own?
WORTHINGTON: It’s even more hairy.  To film in water is three times harder than just on land.  And when you’re dealing with 20- to 30-foot swells rolling in, you’ve gotta be very on your game.  We had a good security force of jet skis to stop us, if we got dumped or the dinghy went over.  But, you’ve gotta be respectful out there because it’s relentless and unforgiving.  In Australia, you don’t have the budget to do special effects, so we had to do it for real, but you’ve got no control out there.
Were there any sequences that felt the most challenging?
WORTHINGTON:  Yeah, anytime the three of us were in that little dinghy boat because you realize how small you really are, in the grand scheme of things.  There’s a camera on a helicopter and one’s on a jet ski somewhere, and it’s just you and your two mates in a little metal boat, in the middle of the ocean, bobbing up and down.  It puts things in perspective.  We were miles and miles out to sea, and the rescue boats were miles and miles off, to get some of the shots.  But, as long as you’re cautious, it’s okay.
...
When you do a film like this, where you’re surrounded by such beautiful scenery every day, does it make it hard to go back to a regular movie?
WORTHINGTON:  They’re just different.  It’s different worlds and different experiences.  I don’t mind being in studios, and I don’t mind being out in nature.  They’re two different ways of making movies."


Drift Official Synopsis:
After their mother escapes from Sydney to Margaret River in the 1970′s, the two Kelly brothers spend their youth searching for the perfect wave. Out of necessity the family launch a backyard surf business – re-thinking board design, crafting homemade wetsuits and selling merchandise out of their van. Battling big waves, small town conservatism and criminals, the brothers give rise to a global brand. A story of passion, corruption, friendship and loyalty, deadly addictions and fractured relationships, DRIFT tells a tale of courage and the will to survive at all odds.


Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment