F James Gunn Talks Fighting For Thanos In Guardians; Planning The Sequel; New Clip; Standalone Movies, & Much More | Galactic News One

James Gunn Talks Fighting For Thanos In Guardians; Planning The Sequel; New Clip; Standalone Movies, & Much More


Though the first draft of Guardians of the Galaxy by Nicole Perlman already featured Thanos, director James Gunn tells reporters that he had to fight for the brief appearance of the Mad Titan.

I wanted Thanos in the movie,” said Gunn. I wanted to be attached to The Avengers. Admittedly, Thanos was a giant pain in the ass because I had to talk with Joss Whedon and those guys. That was the one part where there were a lot of discussions. At a certain point, I think everyone just gave up, and we just did what we wanted.

Speaking with Vulture, Gunn was asked why he and Whedon choose Josh Brolin to play Thanos.

Thanos needed to be this imposing character,” he replied. He needed to have weight to him. So it was about finding the right person to fulfill that role, and we actually auditioned a lot of people for Thanos. That role really is a big commitment, because as everyone has guessed, Thanos is a big part of the Marvel universe going forward, and his role is likely to expand greatly. It was a big challenge to cast.”

Even though Brolin's casting was revealed ahead of Marvel's announcement, we didn't find out until three months prior to the film's release this weekend. He was brought on later, and we were good at keeping it quiet, so it didn’t come out for a long time,” said the director. My brother Sean read for Thanos on set, and then we motion-captured Josh later on down the line, when we got back to Los Angeles.” He continued, Josh was definitely the last person on board and we worked for a couple of days doing his motion capture. He is great for the movie. I don't think he knew what he was getting into. I think he's overwhelmed by all the attention he's getting for Thanos. And I know he was really unprepared for the movie. He was really excited when he saw the film. It really felt good.”


On the heels of the big SDCC announcement that a sequel will hit theaters in 2017, Gunn teases his plans for the follow-up.

Yes, I suppose this is ballsy considering the film hasn't even been released yet,” he said in a Facebook post, “but I guess I just can't let go of that damn raccoon!”

Frankly, I just want to put my all into the next movie,” he told The Wall Street Journal's Speakeasy blog. “I'm going to sleep for three months, and then hopefully we'll get back into the Guardians and take them down the road,” he added. “I've had ideas from the beginning about where these characters go and what can happen with them, so I'm just excited about choosing what aspect of that journey we choose to do next? I think [solo movies] are always possible, but I doubt that would be the next step.”

Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment