F Adan Canto Talks Sunspot In X-Men: Days of Future Past | Galactic News One

Adan Canto Talks Sunspot In X-Men: Days of Future Past


In a recent interview with SHH, Mexican actor Adan Canto talked about making his Hollywood debut with X-Men: Days of Future Past, his audition, the character, X-Men: Apocalypse and other projects.

SuperHeroHype: So how did this all happen? Was it really quickly for you or was there an extensive audition process?
Adan Canto: We were fortunate to get the meeting with the casting director. I was shooting “The Following” in New York at the time and we were able to line it up on a trip back to LA. Yeah, it was basically reading for it and auditioning for it and it happened fortunately.
...
SHH: Did you know what character it was you were going in to read for or was that a surprise when you got the role?
Canto: Yeah, I believe the first time we didn't, but then the second, once we got a little bit more into the meetings we were aware of it, yes.

SHH: You said you were familiar with the X-Men, did you know Sunspot specifically before you got cast?
Canto: No I was not. Like I said, I immediately started to read more about it to understand. I had heard about him but I wasn't familiar with him.

SHH: So what exactly can you tell us about Sunspot, the character, in the movie?
Canto: Well he's a mutant from the future. We're basically starting off in the future and we're seeing the mutants surviving. They have to be fighting these Sentinels, these 15-foot Sentinels, that are quite invincible. We're keeping together, there's been a lot of loss of mutants and the remainder of us are fighting together to beat these guys. Mainly our sequences are just action, action, action, we have to protect them, but once we come together with your "A" X-Men, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Hugh Jackman, then we come together to find a solution for this. That's when the travel to the past comes about.
...
SHH: Based on the trailers, it seems like you'll get to take on some of the Sentinels. What was it like fighting things that aren't really there?
Canto: (Laugs) It's like going back to those days where I just got scolded left and right at school. I tell my parents all that stuff they used to reprimand me for is paying the bills now. It's kind of funny. I did have to channel that seven-year-old boy again and just completely let my imagination loose and just not allow any adult preconceptions of anything limit me.

SHH: On the flip side of that, quite a bit of your character is done in post-production, how does it effect your performance on set to know that it's going to be altered significantly afterward?
Canto: Fortunately they showed me a few ideas of what they were going to do and because of that I knew that it needed to be very physical, very wide. Kind of like movement in a big space so you could actually see his body because it's just a ball of fire if I kept everything constrained. So I was aware of this. I love to run and cycle so I just brought it into a higher level just so I could back it up, I didn't want to fall short with all this physical conditions.

SHH: How many different versions of how your character was going to look do you think they went through before they got to where they ended up?
Canto: I saw a few pictures of them and everything was along the same lines. I wasn't radically different at all. They stayed true to the sun pretty much. Just becoming the surface of the sun and so we won't be confused with fire, because this guy is completely lava, he is magma, and he can channel all these energies. So they just showed me what my skin was going to look like and I just thought if it's going to look that way I better give this guy a lot of space, a lot of wide movements. Even when you run or move from side to side, I thought in that way. I took that into consideration.
...
SHH: Are you the kind of actor that you wanted to create a back story for the character?
Canto: Absolutely, yes. That's one of the things I noticed in the cartoon, he was very affable. I would say too care free in the cartoon. It took me a few minutes to see that so that's why I just didn't want to do it, because when you read the comic books and see everything this guy went through it's just too much. So I wanted to find a balance between this guy being affable and a good guy at heart but at the same time he did face all that disillusion and all that abandonment when he was young, so I wanted to keep all those things in mind, and also his passion for making things right and surviving helping his friends.
...
SHH: They've already announced the next couple of X-Men movies to follow “Days of Future Past." Are you hopeful we'll be seeing Sunspot once again?
Canto: I would love, I would really love it. There's a lot of stuff in the stories, every character's storyline, but definitely with Sunspot as well. I hope that we come back.

SHH: What else have you got coming up in the future that we should look out for?
Canto: There's a few things and I think pretty soon we should have more information on that, but yeah it's been a little bit crazy with the release of the movie and a lot of meetings and readings that we've been having to do at the same time. It's been a lot of fun these last days. A lot of late nights and early mornings.

Openning on May 23rd, X-Men: Days of Future Past stars James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan, Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Ellen Page, Shawn Ashmore, Omar Sy, Adan Canto, Daniel Cudmore, Booboo Stewart, Fan Bingbing, Nicholas Hoult, Peter Dinklage, Josh Helman, Evan Jonigkeit, Lucas Till and Evan Peters.

Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment