F My Top 10 Movies Of 2013 | Galactic News One

My Top 10 Movies Of 2013


10. Pacific Rim
I’m geek at heart so gigantic robots fighting gigantic interdimensional monsters is right up my alley and despite some flaws in the script, Guillermo del Toro’s portrayal of humanity on the brink of the apocalypse, which is subsequently cancelled is a massive treat for the eyes and for that it deserves a place in my list of this year best films.

9. Now You See Me
Entertaining, entertaining, entertaining and more entertaining. Of all the films I saw this year this is for me the one that I think I will re-watch the more, and enough said.

8. Her
Spike Jonze’s mind continues to deliver some of the most original content ever. This time around a man falls in love with his sentient computer. Well?... If this simple line doesn’t make you want to see the film then you are dead inside. This sci-fi/romance is probably one of Jonze’s better works and with Joaquin Phoenix playing the lovesick Theodore and Scarlett Johansson voicing Samantha the PC, you are in for a treat. But the talent doesn’t stop here, Amy Adams, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader, Rooney Mara and Chris Pratt complete this outstanding piece of art, and dare I say it… Best Original Screenplay?

7. The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug
Honestly I wasn’t in love with the first film, but this second installment is a vast improvement, the story takes you in, which I though was lacking in the first film. This time it seems there is more at stake than just sort of cruising along Middle Earth. With this new one, director Peter Jackson got I think closer in terms of depth and feel to The Lord of the Rings trilogy, so maybe next year The Hobbit: There and Back Again will be higher on the list.

6. Short Term 12
It took me completely by surprise. When I first read the synopsis I thought it was another exploitation film about kids, teenagers who are going through a rough situation, but exploitation is nowhere to be seen, what we have instead is a heartbreaking empathy between the kids in the shelter and the staff members, in particular Grace played by Brie Larson, who gives such an honest and emotional performance that it easily one of the best this year.

5. Man of Steel
Simply because it’s the Superman film I always wanted to see, plus I finally get to see Sups killing someone.

4. Gravity
Dizzying and claustrophobic despite all the vast emptiness of space, but the Alfonso CuarĂ³n’s Gravity is more than just visual awesomeness, yes it’s a very contained story, but it has a strong emotional core that hits you in all the right spots.   

3. Kaze tachinu (The Wind Rises)
What to say. The film has gotten some bad rep in Japan and in some other places, but the matter of the fact is that it is a beautiful film (again) and it tells a strong and heartfelt true story. What I like about Miyazaki-san The Wind Rises is that it is such a departure from what he usually does, meaning it’s not fantastical, full a creature and interpretations of Gods film, but a down-to-earth and “normal” film. It’s a shame that it is his last picture, but what a way to say goodbye.

2. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Let me begin by saying that I saw the Norman Z. McLeod’s 1947 The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and if you are one of those people that look down at remakes, let me tell you to turn that frown upside down, because Ben Stiller’s version is not only different but better. Stiller’s Walter Mitty is at the very core a journey of self-discovery and love. It’s a drama with funny elements and not the other way around. Stiller is superb as the daydreaming Walter Mitty and Adam Scott’s Ted Hendricks’ bother me so much that I just wanted to slap him with the Stretch Armstrong. All and all The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is a great film, with better performances and one of this year’s most beautiful photography’s.

1. 12 Years a Slave
Words cannot describe Steve McQueen’s 12 Years a Slave, which for me is by far the best film of the year. Chiwetel Ejiofor’s performance as Solomon Northrup the free African-American that is kidnapped and sold into slavery is more then outstanding, it’s brilliant as are the ones by Michael Fassbender, Sarah Paulson and Lupita Nyong’o, who grabs your heart.

Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment