F Nick Offerman Talks We’re The Millers, Parks And Recreation, Working With Terrence Mallick And More | Galactic News One

Nick Offerman Talks We’re The Millers, Parks And Recreation, Working With Terrence Mallick And More

In an recent interview to collider, actor and comedian Nick Offerman talked about the upcoming movie We’re the Millers and it’s humor and about working with director Terrence Malick

“Collider:  What’s the last year or two been like for you, because you’ve really been bouncing back and forth.  Obviously with Parks and Recreation, but you’ve been some solid work on so many other things.  What’s it been like, being able to work on all these different projects?
NICK OFFERMAN:  It’s been incredibly fun.  It’s every guy’s dream to be able to do things like Parks and Rec and Axe Cop and I wrote a book and I get to take my shirt off and play mediocre songs for college students in my American Ham show.  It’s just been a blast.  It’s been somewhat exhausting, so I was just talking to my sister about how busy I’ve been, and I always make sure to point out that when I cry my tears, they are tears of the finest scotch.
You obviously are paired with Kathryn in the film.  She is incredibly funny.  Are you really good at keeping a straight face when she’s improv-ing or when people are improv-ing?  Do you have a tough time?  Do you break a lot?
OFFERMAN:  No, I’m pretty good at it.  I come by it honest.  I learned to keep a straight face in the Catholic church, where the punishment is eternal damnation so a lot was riding on my ability not to crack a smile.  However, Kathryn and Jason both had moments, and it’s like this on Parks and Rec too.  Ninety percent of the time I keep a stoic, straight face, but then when somebody really gets me, it feels really good to cut loose and giggle.  Kathryn Hahn is like a hurricane of comedy, if you can get through seven or eight takes without busting, I think that’s a fine score.

I did the press conference in New York with the whole cast but you, and the thing I discovered was I’ve always been a fan of Jason, but I didn’t realize how good he is on his feet with improv, because he had the entire room just laughing, almost on every question.  I was blown away by his humor.  What was he like to work with, in terms of sticking to the script, ad-libbing, and coming up with better stuff on the spot?
OFFERMAN:  He was incredibly admirable to me.  I’ve known Jason for a while, and I’ve always been a big fan of his.  He’s obviously incredibly funny, and his work on SNL is really heroic. It was real exciting to work with him, and I was only surprised by kind of what you just said: that he’s even funnier than I could have imagined.  He’s also incredibly smart. He has a great ability to step outside the actor side of himself and examine the script and the story, and achieve what we’re going for in a scene, but always be looking for a way to improve things with improv when he feels it’s appropriate.  I came away with a great deal of admiration, and I kind of feel like I got an education from Jason working on this film.  I had done a lot of studio-sized comedies, and the attention he paid to the role and the script was elucidating to me.
I’m not sure if Parks and Rec is popular in London, if people watch, but I would imagine that, with American tourists, how did people react seeing you over there, with the mustache, in London?  Did anyone react to it, or were you able to anonymous?
OFFERMAN:  Parks and Rec had been playing there for about a year, so they’re into season two on the BBC.  There was a pretty good deal of recognition.  Ron’s hair and mustache are so iconic.  We have our fans there, and all the American tourists, it made for a lot of recognition on the streets.  I think the rest of the population was strangely intimidated by Ron.  They couldn’t understand why this man would look the way he does, and carrying himself the way he does, with his pockets full of bacon.  It was really just a lot of fun, and the strange thing was we were shooting on location, and we had some German fans freak out.  It was interesting to see fans from all over the world who watch the show online.  A Japanese woman was flipping out and was taking pictures with me.  She couldn’t even speak enough English — I was trying to get out of her, “How do you know the show, because you don’t even speak any English,” but she couldn’t even tell me.  I can only assume she must see with subtitles or dubbing, but it was really neat to see that we have fans around the world with modern broadcast systems.
You got to work, at least a little bit, with Terrence Malick on Knight of Cups, if I’m not mistaken.
OFFERMAN:  I did, yes.  Just one glorious day.

With Malick, considering he can edit anyone out of anything, were you sort of like, “I’m gonna go do this, but there’s a chance no one’s going to see this work?”
OFFERMAN:  Oh yeah, absolutely.  He famously will cut his lead out of the movie.  The guy who came in and played for one day, the chance is very slim that we’ll ever see any of it, but I’m an incredibly big fan of his work, and getting to meet with him and work with him was such a joy and a treat.  By now, you go in knowing you’re rolling the dice in terms of whether or not you’re going to appear in the final cut.  If it had come as a surprise, you can get angry about it, but I knew that going in.  I just had a lot of fun.  He directs like a painter: he looks around at all of the ingredients and colors that he has and just starts painting, and I think that continued into the editing room, where he just keeps working on the painting.  He may find that he has that horse-drawn wagon in the lower left of his painting, and eventually he paints over it because it doesn’t work in the final cut.  Being one small color in his brush stroke was quite a treat.

One of the things about Malick is the unorthodox places he’ll put a camera.  I’m curious about you working with him that one day, you noticed the camera might have been aimed at your feet, or it might have been aimed at a window with you delivering dialogue.  Was that what he was doing, or was it more conventional narrative with your character?
OFFERMAN:  No, no, it was very much like that.  It was kind of fun.  I was playing the role, that in the space of one day, I was an agent, and Christian Bale’s over-sharing in a lobby, and then he said, “Okay, maybe now you’re a ghost.”  We sort of continued to improvise and play off the same material we had been doing.  Then I went into a sound van, and recorded all of my material, because he said, “Maybe I’ll just have him hear your voice as he’s in this lobby.”  Then he came up with a whole other scenario where we had a writers’ room, and Christian Bale is playing one of the writers, and we just did a huge session of an improved scene.  It’s really fun.  He has a real train of thought filmmaking, but it’s very creative.  It’s really.

I have to say, that’s such a different way of making a movie than other people can get away with it.  It has to be interesting, for all actors involved, because you don’t know what the hell he made until you see the finished movie.
OFFERMAN:  That’s for sure.  You have to be a master on the level of Terrence Malick to get funding and say, “Oh, I don’t know what we’re going to end up with, but we’re just going to roll the footage.  I have a general idea.”  His work has been so beautiful and moving, that everyone is just happy to get a chance.  Terrence makes such a high-end product.
…”
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment